Fear Not


Fear Not
By: David Pittman


Twenty-four years ago I learned that being gay was no different than being straight. I became aware that sports were not simply what everyone assumes to be a “manly activity”. I learned that gay men were no less manly just because they are gay. I learned that gay men do not in fact find all other men; including those who are not gay attractive, and thus they do not want to molest them. I learned that straight men can never understand the stigma (that comes often from within) from not being, what others view as “normal”. I learned that parents who do not teach acceptance, are not much different than those who teach hate and fear.
From the outside looking in you may think you understand me, or at least that you want to try. That being said, I should warn you first that everything you may think you know; you are most likely mistaken. Of course that is normally the case when society tries to understand the gay community. So I might add, instead of trying to understand, maybe you and I would be better served if you were just able to accept me. Accept me simply as a “man” who could be a great friend. Just as I did twenty-four years ago in Las Vegas when I learned my best friend was gay.
Many people feel it is acceptable to treat those who are different from themselves as less than human, and in those cases we must step in as a society and force upon those individuals the laws of a just, fair, and decent people. As it is stated in The Declaration of Independence—“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. And as for the religious perspective I offer this. How can we debate the sanctity of marriage without proof? I submit the divorce rate for same sex marriage might be a start. What intelligence or lack thereof does it show to be so greatly against something you do not understand and for that matter are not required to even experience as anything other than human kindness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally.

Here comes more terror.

Wake up Stupid Asses !!!